There are two things that set us apart from anyone else, our one of a kind quantum computer and our exceptional people. Employees of D-Wave include some of the world’s leading scientists. Our people work on high-impact technology that will help to solve some of humanity’s greatest challenges.
Technical Support Engineer - Linux & Quantum-based Applications
Location: Burnaby, BC
D-Wave is looking for exceptionally motivated people who love to see the impact of their work daily, who are driven to ensure the success of the company, and who want to be a part of something special. We are working to radically change what is possible with computers and are leading the effort to commercialize quantum computing.
D-Wave’s systems are multi-disciplinary in nature spanning physics, mechanical engineering, cryogenics engineering, low noise analog and digital electronics, conventional computer networking, and a low magnetic field environment. The company's flagship product, the D-Wave 2000Q, is built around a novel superconducting quantum processor designed to exploit quantum resources known to offer large computational speedups on some problems. The D-Wave adiabatic quantum computer can sample from probability distributions and optimize functions that are computationally intractable using classical hardware. D-Wave Systems are currently being used by customers such as Lockheed Martin, NASA and Google. D-Wave has appeared in Time Magazine, MIT Technology Review, Forbes, INC Magazine and Wired.
D-Wave is looking for an exceptionally passionate and versatile Technical Support Engineer to help us tackle new problems as we continue to push our technology forward. In this role, you’ll be joining a team of smart, passionate engineers who are driven to go above and beyond to help people use our quantum computers.
In this role, you’ll be the go-to person for D-Wave’s customer needs by providing primary and secondary user (internal and external) support and assisting with on-site customer upgrades and deployment. Learning the system, in the beginning, is going to be a challenge and you’ll need to use your math, physics and programming knowledge to get the fundamentals. From there you’ll be using your excellent problems solving, communication and system administration skills to support our users and keep things running smoothly.
- Providing Tier 1 and Tier 2 user support
- Supporting and monitoring production systems
- Configuring and deploying Linux based applications
- Developing a broad knowledge of D-Wave’s products and how to use them
- Triaging, troubleshooting, escalating, and/or providing resolution to customer queries
- Reproducing, documenting and escalating issues to the appropriate internal team
- Contributing to architectural and workflow improvement discussions and projects
- Traveling to our on-site locations for system upgrades and deployment (10%)
- Building knowledge bases, documentation, and reports for internal and external use
- 3+ years’ experience with Linux system administration
- Experience providing technical customer support, ideally to external customers
- Strong math and computer science fundamentals, physics knowledge would be an additional asset
- Experience programming, ideally in Python, with experience debugging someone else’s code
- Extensive knowledge of Linux performance troubleshooting and system administration
- Expertise in deploying and supporting complex, distributed applications in Linux environments
- Comfortable supporting users on various operating systems (Linux, Mac, Windows)
- Awesome problem-solving skills
- Strong customer service, organizational, and communication skills
- Ability to remain flexible to changing priorities and use best judgment to make quick decisions
Since many of our customers are in the US and this role does have some travel requirements, the successful person will also need to be open to the following:
- Maintaining conduct that will not jeopardize the ability to maintain required security clearance or to work on-site with highly secure and sensitive customers, which may include a background check
- Obtaining US work authorization
- Working flexible hours (evenings, weekends) on occasion
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those who are selected for interviews will be contacted.
It is D-Wave Systems Inc policy to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state/provincial, local law.