There are two things that set us apart from anyone else, our one of a kind quantum computer and our exceptional people. Employees of D-Wave include some of the world’s leading scientists. Our people work on high-impact technology that will help to solve some of humanity’s greatest challenges.
Quantum Applications Engineer (Located anywhere in the US or Canada)
Location: Anywhere in the US or Canada
D-Wave is looking for exceptionally motivated and bright people who love to see the impact of their work daily and who want to be a part of a ground-breaking shift in the computing industry. We are working to radically expand the limits of computers by commercializing quantum computing.
D-Wave builds systems that exploit the most fundamental forces in nature for computation. The company's flagship product, the D-Wave 2000Q, is built around a superconducting quantum processor and is available to customers such as Lockheed-Martin, NASA, Los Alamos National Lab, and Google.
We're working hard to exploit quantum resources which are known to offer large computational speedups on some problems. The D-Wave quantum annealing computer samples from probability distributions and optimizes functions that are computationally intractable using classical hardware.
Position: Quantum Applications Engineer
D-Wave is growing its application-development work with specific customers and needs people with the right skills. We’re looking for insightful thinkers who are adroit with combinatorial problems, who can learn the nature and benefits of our quantum processors, and who have the programming expertise to turn that understanding into usable application software. We expect that it will take most applicants a few months to acclimate to using D-Wave’s unusual quantum-annealing-based quantum processor. Knowledge of quantum physics may shorten that time, but probably not much.
Delivered performance is perhaps the key measure of our success, so we strive for fast execution in all we do. Depending on the customer we’re working with, we open-source much of our work; for example, our release of qbsolv (github.com/DwaveSystems/qbsolv) received major positive feedback from media as diverse as Wired magazine and the Wall Street Journal.
The Customer Applications group is a distributed team, led from Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN, and we welcome applicants throughout Canada and the US for the role. Successful candidates will have passion for technology, focus on enabling customer success, skill working autonomously and with a small team, drive to improve continuously, and professional pride.
- Working with customers to develop D-Wave-focused applications. This relationship may vary from consulting as the customer does most of the work to being the primary developer with guidance from the customer
- Mapping user problems to the quadratic unconstrained binary optimization (QUBO) form
- Presenting technical information effectively: D-Wave product and usage techniques as well as your current application-development work
- Traveling for face-to-face interactions with customers
- Contributing expertise on D-Wave’s systems and available tools and techniques
- Implementing end-to-end computational workflows around a D-Wave-focused module.
- Understanding from customers the real problems they need solved and the value of possible solutions
- Working closely with technical project managers, application developers, and quantum software engineers to implement versatile solutions to difficult problems
- At least 5 years’ experience developing combinatorial applications. Experience in non-combinatorial applications with bleeding-edge computational devices such as application-specific processors or FPGAs may be relevant in some circumstances
- Excellent Python coding skills (and C++ secondarily) with a strong bias towards high quality, fast, clean, maintainable code
- Computer Science fundamentals in data structures, algorithm design (esp. for performance), object-oriented design, and parallel processing
- Practical familiarity with a wide array of system capabilities for application development (e.g., databases, distinct server processes, Jupyter notebooks, Docker)
- Strong communication and collaboration skills across technical disciplines and backgrounds (e.g. application developers, domain experts, tool developers, and system software developers)
- Ability to work effectively both independently and within a team
- Ability to work in a rapidly evolving environment
Bonus skills and qualifications:
Exceptional candidates will have experience in one or more of the following:
- Experience in developing solvers for combinatorial optimization problems
- Effective technical writing skills
- Holding or willingness to hold a US government security clearance
- Familiarity with machine learning algorithms
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those who are selected for interviews will be contacted.
It is D-Wave Systems Inc policy to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state/provincial, local law.