Quantum Applications Developer: Optimization
Location: Burnaby, BC OR Seattle, WA
D-Wave is looking for exceptionally motivated people who love to see the impact of their work, who are driven to ensure the success of the company, and who want to be a part of something special. We are working to radically change what is possible with computers and are leading the effort to commercialize quantum computing.
D-Wave’s systems are multi-disciplinary in nature spanning physics, algorithms research, math, mechanical engineering, cryogenics engineering, low noise analog and digital electronics, conventional computer networking, and a low magnetic field environment. The company's flagship product, the D-Wave 2000Q, is built around a novel superconducting quantum processor designed to exploit quantum resources known to offer large computational speedups on some problems. The D-Wave annealing quantum computer can sample from probability distributions and optimize functions that are computationally intractable using classical hardware. D-Wave systems are currently being used by customers such as Lockheed Martin, NASA and Google, and there is a rapidly expanding community of cloud users and developers exploring applications and expanding open-source tools. D-Wave has appeared in Time Magazine, MIT Technology Review, Forbes, INC Magazine and Wired.
The algorithm D-Wave processors enable is called quantum annealing. Quantum annealing has demonstrated efficient sampling from complex probability distributions defined over discrete variables and offers un-tapped efficiencies in discrete optimization problems. Current D-Wave users have developed over 100 early applications in a diverse range of problems and markets. We’ve also recently announced our next generation Pegasus™ architecture, which features more than double the qubits and 2.5 times the connectivity between each qubit, as well as offering increased coherence. With all this progress, there is a rapidly growing community of developers who believe now is the time to explore and develop quantum applications towards commercial utility.
D-Wave Systems is looking for an optimization applications developer to join us in creating practical quantum applications for the wider world. In this role, you’ll partner with our internal scientists and engineers as well as real users and other domain experts to develop and bring useful quantum accelerated optimization services to market. If you’re passionate about new technology and its impact in the world, this role offers the opportunity to play a key role in building a new era of quantum powered software.
Some specific areas we’re interested in include:
- Operations research applications in areas such as constrained optimization and/or dynamic logistics
- Methods for solving problems having complex variable interactions and constraints
- Optimization approaches applied to objective functions arising in machine learning
- Application development in domains bottlenecked by hard discrete optimization problems
We welcome applications from folks interested in working from our head office in Burnaby, BC or Seattle, WA.
What You'll Bring:
- Experience building real-world applications of advanced optimization algorithms
- Graduate degree in Math, Computer Science, Operations Research, or related field or equivalent experience
- Experience implementing algorithms in C/C++, Python or similar programming languages
- Experience in combinatorial algorithms and discrete optimization; experience with Gurobi or CPLEX would be an asset
- Excellent critical thinking, analysis, and problem solving
- Up-to-date understanding of the latest approaches in heuristic and complete methods for discrete optimization
- Demonstrated creativity in approaching new problems
- Strong organizational and decision-making skills
- Excellent written & verbal communication
- Self-motivated, proactive, flexible and passionate about learning
D-Wave systems is passionate about building a diverse and inclusive workplace and welcomes applicants from a wide range of backgrounds, identities and experiences. It is our policy to provide equal employment opportunity to all persons regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or provincial.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those who are selected for interviews will be contacted.
It is D-Wave Systems Inc policy to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state/provincial, local law.